Thursday, August 19, 2010

No one enjoys lugging a 35 lb kettlebell

I took the Core Tabata class to Clinton school for a little workout today. We lugged some stuff with us, the battle ropes, a 35lb kettlebell and a 10 lbs medicine ball and did a tabata circuit. Everyone had to take turns carrying the 35lb kettlebell. It was heavy and somewhat awkward. It really slowed down whoever had it. Got me thinking how a simple two block walk up the street with an extra 35lbs on a frame would slow anyone down.

4 minutes at each station with 20 second sets and 10 second rests.

1) Battle ropes
2) Burpies with medicine ball
3) Kettlebell swing tosses down the field
4) Box jumps or single leg step ups

Then we finished off with a set of tabata sprints around the track.

Needless, to say at least one person was left feeling a little queasy.

On our way back, I sucked it up and carried the kettlebell back myself. I tried to centre it in the middle of my body to make it as easy as possible. I could feel my heart rate getting up there WAY faster than it would have without that weight.

Someone took the 10 lb medicine ball back and remarked at how it felt like carrying a tennis ball compared to the kettlebell.

I've never lost more than 15 pounds. I can't say I have personal experience with what it feels like to lose a significant amount of weight. But I can imagine that every day activities get a whole lot easier and walking down the street doesn't feel like the workout it might have once. I am so inspired by the clients I know that have dropped significant weight. I live vicariously through their renewed vitality.

If people come to me overweight or obese, we normally set a really achievable goal like say 10% of their body weight. So a woman who is 200 lbs might need to lose 70 pounds to get to an IDEAL body weight. What is ideal for one person might not be for another. Incremental sustainable improvement might be the most prudent way to approach someone's health journey. Dropping even 10% of body weight will:

Reduce the symptoms of sleep apnea.
Lower your total cholesterol.
Lower your blood pressure.
Reduce your risk for heart disease and diabetes.
Reduce your risk for heart attack.
Stop the need of taking one or more medications.
Reduce pain and inflammation.

Reaching for an ideal body misses the big picture. Reaching for improvement in health and vitality. That's the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment