Thursday, November 25, 2010

Peter Dale - National Aerobics Championship 1989 USA Individual Male

Isabel passed along this link. Holy crap. Now I"m dating myself but I used to think guys who could do this, dressed like this were hot. But then again I was about 16. What did I know?



I used to rock outfits like this. Body suit up the bum, I'd add a little matching belt and leg warmers, maybe even a head band.
Thanks Isabel. This makes me feel freakin' old reminiscing on how I started getting passionate about fitness. How far we've come. I wonder what we're going to look back on twenty years from now and laugh about. Like haha we used to do that didn't we look silly and look at what we were wearing. It's going to happen. Or at the very least the kids twenty years from now are going to laugh at us.

But truth be told, I found hard core aerobics just at the right time. It served a very important purpose. It took the edge off of what were anxious teenage years. High impact aerobics gave me the endorphins I needed to have even a temporary high, helped me escape from what was am angst ridden home life and probably saved me from getting into more trouble than I did.

It was Fitco in Victoria with the owner Marty and his mustache similar to Peter Dale's cranking the tunes, smiling and giving the young girls a little pat on the bum that got me hooked. My hat goes off to you Marty for being a part of what has now been well over a decade of working in the fitness industry and at least 20 years of consistently exercising.

I might have looked silly, but I sure as hell felt good. So for any of you reading this, don't be afraid to risk looking silly in your pursuit of fitness. Whatever lights you up inside will serve a very important purpose in your evolution.

5 comments:

  1. I remember laughing at those guys when they came into World Gym in New Orleans. We were all in torn sweat pants, combat boots and a ripped shirt from some other gym. We'd laugh at them while we did our inverted situps holding 45lb plates to our chests and squatted small pick-up trucks. Grunt and get the weight up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this is priceless. I recognise some of those moves from my first days of teaching. I thought the purpose of the class was to show everybody how high I could kick my legs over my head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to do aerobics.Thanks for sharing with us great blog.
    Personal Training Center in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss those days. I remember working at Central Park Square in Phoenix az where I had the pleasure of working with Peter Dale boy did he have a following!! I miss that guy!

    ReplyDelete