Monday, September 17, 2012

Top six reasons to sit still every day

About ten years ago I hired a life coach to help me maximize my life and with the idea that I wanted to achieve more. We did remote phone coaching as he was based on Vancouver. He gave me some homework. Actually, it was like the opposite of homework to me at the time and I just didn't get it. In fact, I cuffawed it.

My homework was to sit still on a park bench every day for ten minutes and do nothing.

At the time I was thinking "I'm so busy. Why would I want to do nothing? What exactly am I going to accomplish sitting on a park bench?".

It took me almost ten years to really really really understand the value of the homework I was given. And sadly, I can say I missed a lot of beauty in the last ten years that passed me by in my addiction to being busy (and my need to be busy to 'survive'). I was caught in the idea that being productive and efficient and ambitious was what was going to make my life better. I learned a lot over the last ten years but I also wish I could have taken a bit more of a short cut to get to this point. I might have found value in the simpler things that passed me by. One thing I know is that my daughter only has one childhood. I wish I go back and experience her younger years with the awareness I have now.

When I say sitting still every day I don't mean sitting at your computer on Facebook or sitting in front of the TV. I mean sitting still in quiet filled with a sense of calm and peace. This might mean mindful meditation to some people. This is what it means to me. And I'm not saying that I'm sooooo great at sitting still. It is a constant struggle for me to make the time but, finally, I need this stillness and peace in my spirit like I need water.

I'm not trying to get all Eckhart Tolle on you. I just think hearing from a fitness 'pro' about the need for stillness carries more weight than coming from some other people because fitness people are the doers, the movers, the people who buzz like humming birds and need motion to get back to stasis. We are the more wound up ones who like pushing ourselves physically more than most people. So after my long history working in this kooky industry of mine, I have journeyed a vast distance to get to where I am now.


Some people think they are mastering this stillness thing too. But sometimes we can even approach this simple task of getting better at stillness with the energy of a type A personality. Go to a packed yoga class and check everyone out. See who is there for the stillness and peace and who is there because it's another should on a long list of shoulds. Normally the chatty ones that buzz at the beginning of class are the type As in disguise. So beware of turning this mastering of stillness into yet another thing on your long check list of what will make you a better person and instead let yourself let go.

These are my top six reasons for sitting still every day:

1) After a long period of stress and sleep issues, I have suffered from adrenal fatigue to varying degrees for years. Calming the nervous system with activities that promote a sense of being grounded and peaceful are a very important part of healing the adrenals.

2) I can't listen to myself if I'm always distracted. Sitting still every day lets me hear what my wisdom wants to tell me. I can't run away from myself. You can tune into what your body needs to be in balance with this stillness too. Listen up. Your body is always talking to you.

3) We can start experiencing our true essence in this still place and might start to shift our consciousness by tuning into the present. We might even find it more possible to tune into the present in the rest of our lives gradually as we practice more stillness. This translates into more enjoyment of the smallest things that matter the most in life.

4) Sitting in stillness allows new creative ideas to come in. It creates space for new energy to enter into our beings.

5) Creating stillness in us also balances out our culture's constant focus on productivity and helps us not get swept in in the tidal wave of busy-ness that surrounds us. It's a way to stay disciplined from getting caught up in the current.

6) If you are on your own hamster wheel and don't know how to get off, the only place to start is with a little change every day. If you only have 5 minutes to sit still every day, it's a start towards a larger transformation. You don't need to do a complete facelift to set change in motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment