Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What's the right type of exercise for you?



Very simply, the right type of exercise for you is the type that you want to repeat.

People spend a lot of time talking about the new hottest fitness trend that is the newest best way to get fit fast.

But the reality is that trends don't really matter in the big picture because people are most likely to repeat something they enjoy either during or after.

We all have very different reasons for liking different types of exercise and no one can really tell you what's best for you.

I can advise clients as to what type of exercise is most likely to help them achieve their goals. Achieving goals can be very motivating for sure. But unless you get more from your exercise than just fitness, then you aren't likely to stick with it.

When I work with clients, I always try to make a compromise between what people like and what I think is best for their bodies. Most of the time, these two things intersect!

Whatever brings you joy and peace during or after a workout is normally an excellent sign that you're on the right track. Sometimes even just an environment can be the determinant of this joy and peace.

So follow your inner guru and do what you love to do because you're most likely to feel great and get fit repeating repeating repeating and staying consistent with some type of movement.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to exercise so what I do is I turn the music on with my favorite song and just jump like a maniac for all I'm worth... Three - four minutes later I'm laughing because I feel silly, my heart is pounding and I just had fun "exercising" :)

    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Lucia! Fitness should be the side effect of movement! Kitchen dance parties are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete