Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My opinion about blogging

I'm a small business owner and spent several years as a single parent carrying a mortgage and business overhead by myself. I needed to grow my business with no advertising budget but with my fitness knowledge and time investment.
Social networking tools have made reaching a wider audience possible for people like me.
However many social networking tools are only useful for as long as they feel new and cutting edge to your particular target market.
After blogging for quite some time I started to feel declining returns on my time investment. Social networking for the purpose of self promotion isn't a new thing and can bed overdone to the point of pure annoyance and igniting the tune out factor. At their best social networking and more specifically blogging gives something back to the audience or reader in return for their time. Each business owner needs to identify what their target market values most from the business and many times that something is intangible and directly tied with the brand.
Since opening urbanfitt since june 2006 I fully appreciate how my community of amazing clientele is qhat has really been driving my biz. I also realize how my clients greatly value a fitness studio that is more than a space to sweat. It is also a community for them to meet and engage with other like minded individuals.
So I've turned my attention to social networking for community unifying not self promotion.
Small business is all about serving people in our communities. And the urbanfitt community puts food on my table pays my mortgage and keeps my life moving forward. And I hope I can help this community of amazing people connect more and more and build its synergistic energy for some time to come.

1 comment: