Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Bar Method: a hot new ballet inspired workout


A couple people asked me what I thought of the new Bar method, a ballet workout with a bar. Bar Method franchises have been popping up all over the West Coast of the US and people are really digging it.

It is a new name for something that has been taught all over for quite some time, AKA ballet conditioning for regular people. In fact my friends, Sarah Robichaud and Victoria Fodor, started teaching ballet bootcamp over 10 years ago if not longer than that. Victoria has even subbed in for me at Urbanfitt many times and surprised the class with a ballet bootcamp class. There were many confirmed sore muscles the next day.

The New York Times fitness guinea pig, Karen Barrow, went and tried it out.



My review of the Bar Method? Whatever gets people moving on a regular basis and involves strength and resistance training while you sweat gets a thumbs up...especially when there's a focus on posture and alignment! The only thing I might be concerned about? Improving strength and fitness requires progressions (i.e. more weight, higher intensity, longer duration etc. etc.). Many group fitness programs don't ensure progressions. I wish I could go try a class for myself ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just want to clarify that The Bar Method exercise company is a part of the ballet bar exercise niche. And, yes, we are experiencing tremendous growth across the country with 46 locations and about 10 more coming this year.
    The clip above is not of a Bar Method class but another bar type class.
    "The Bar Method" and all variations such as "The Barre Method" are registered marks of The Bar Method, Inc. and may not be used for any purpose whatsoever without the express written consent of The Bar Method, Inc. Copyright © 2011 The Bar Method, Inc. All rights reserved.

    Sincerely,
    Dannah Lewis
    Marketing & Communications Director, The Bar Method

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dannah,
    Based on your comment above, are you asking me to take this posting down due to copyright issues you might be concerned about. I would be happy to comply! Don't want to step on anyone's toes (no pun intended)
    Just let me know!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete