Saturday, March 19, 2011

Highlights from Berlin so far...

I love traveling. I want to meet people, see new things and challenge myself to change the way I think about the world. Of course, I observe people's lifestyle behaviours and compare them to home. It's what I do for work. It's hard to shut it off.

People are generally not as overweight in Berlin as they are pretty much everywhere else I've been.
It could be chalked up to the fact that most people don't drive and instead walk or take public transit. People I've met also seem to eat a lot of whole foods, not processed. That could be about the demographic of the people I know here or not. Although there are some fast food places around, they certainly aren't as plentiful as in Toronto.

Anyone curious about visiting Berlin really ought to just come. Whatever I write won't do it justice.

But here is a list of highlights so far:

1) Visited Cold War bunker in the ghetto which included an underground hospital, decontamination room, underground theatre space and a bunker that was used during the famous Air Bridge of 1949
2) Best apricot crumble of my life around the corner from where I'm staying
3) Best vietnamese food in XBerg
4) First trip to Hamam in XBerg, kids in tow. Got full on body scrub down

5) Check Point Charlie Museum, thanks Amanda

6) Visit to cafeteria in the middle of government building (by accident). Appreciated perfectly clean washrooms
7) Neues Museum - favourite thing...Egyptian gold rings
8) Bought two pairs of MC Hammer pants AKA Harem pants - you can kiss my arss if you think they look funny
9) Dinner with three sociologists and ate a delicious dinner in an amazing old apartment
10) Outdoor market where I found the best hat I've ever had on my head

11) Checking out bullet holes everywhere
12) Visit to the Berlin Zoo - Knut the polar bear died while we were there. Heard a lion roar for the first time in person
13) Got lost and found on the public transit system many times and always got help from nice people
14) Grafitti art everywhere and it just fits
15) Amazing Turkish food at a Hasir location
16) Cocktail at the Green Door where we had to get buzzed in
17) Blackberry streudel in outdoor market that was so fresh
18) Haunting Jewish memorial statue

19) Observing Freedom for Libya demonstration

20) Not stepping into a gym for an entire week so far but walking everywhere and getting fresh, sometimes frigid, air
21) Upgrade to first class on the plane after experienced motion sickness and getting a sponge bath from the flight attendant
22) Saw my first flowers of 2011 springing up from the ground


Three more days to go!

2 comments:

  1. OH MY lucky you and lucky Chase, thats just so awesome. I hardly remember anything about the place. you make me want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky me especially! She's a star traveller!

    ReplyDelete