Tuesday, November 22, 2011

You Don't Have to be Fat to be Funny or Skinny to be Successful - An Interview with Naomi Snieckus


I had the pleasure of connecting with Naomi to talk to her about making peace with our body types. She's a truly confident grounded woman and I thought it would be important to share her wisdom and experience with health and fitness with other women.

Naomi Snieckus is an award-winning actress, improviser, and veritable impresario. She is the co-founder and member of The National Theatre of the World, three time Canadian Comedy Award winner for Best Improv Troupe, who will be performing their annual Impromptu Splendor: A Very Mamet-y Xmas Show with guest-star Ron James at Theatre Passe Muraille on December 11th. Naomi can also be seen in the upcoming new CBC sitcom Mr. D (premiering in January) and in a Martin Short comedy special also on the CBC in February. She is also the creator and co-producer of online series The Casting Room. For more info visit National Theatre of the World

Here's a teaser from our interview.

As a performer do you feel more pressure to look a certain way?
If I wasn’t a performer I’d still want to be healthy and fit so I don’t know if I put more pressure on myself.

I want to grow up and be one of those 60 or 70 year-old ladies where people say “she’s so flexible and so fit”. I don’t want to be the lady that is 70 and look like she’s 100. But the industry of TV and film caters to skinnier and slender ladies but I also just bring what I bring. I’ve never been one of those 6-foot tall models. I quickly realized who I am physically and I’m ok with that.

How would you describe your body type?
I’m Lithuanian so I’ve got muscles. I’m strong like bull. Comes in handy when things need to be lifted. Ya. That’s my body type. Lithuanian.


...Read the full article here!

No comments:

Post a Comment