Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Changing your self-improvement paradigm



For most of my adult life, I've equated moving forward in my life with taking action. I always thought that if I was taking action of some sort to improve my life, then chances were that things were going to get better all the time. As I live through more life experience, I see that this isn't always the case.

I'm an action oriented person and find it hard to procrastinate or, as I like to see it now, fight an impulse to be the way I've always been hummingbird like in my energy.

The whole paradigm of thinking we should always be focused on improving ourselves and moving forward can in fact take us in the exact opposite direction because we are losing site of the bigger picture. Self improvement may start feeling like another 'job' instead of a joy and nothing inside of us has really shifted. We might even approach self-improvement with the same type A mentality that got us into trouble in the first place.

One thing I've noticed about people who find it hard to fit in self-care including regular exercise are in a state of constant busy-ness. They are so busy doing something that they don't even notice the proverbial hamster wheel they are on. They are in the constant state of having to do something that they build blinders that stop them from having any perspective and take them away from experiencing the beauty in life as it happens.

For example, "I'm in a constant state of doing but is this even the way I want my life to be?"

Or, "I'm so busy all the time, am I even experiencing my life as it unfolds or am I waiting to start experience all the riches in life until a later date when I'm not so busy?"

The tragedy of it all is that life is so fragile. We don't know when it will be our time to go. And we all will have regrets. But right at this moment we can start to live like we have a short time to live and this will make us slow down, taste our food, snuggle our kids, love our loved ones even more and make time for precious friends.

And I've noticed that this busy-ness approach to life extends into most people's paradigms about self improvement. We can get really busy trying to make ourselves better or create new opportunities or get fit or whatever it is we think we should do to improve our lives.

What I've found (and I'm not suggesting I've mastered it at all!) is that the more I find ways to slow down, stop rushing everywhere and focus on the fact I've got a finite amount of time on this planet, I am making more progress in improving my life than I ever have before in the same amount of time.

If we don't make space for new things in our lives because our lives are just so jammed, then the universe can't send it to us. If we don't have any time to let new thoughts or realizations into our beings, then we will stay stuck in our never ending hamster wheel.

2 comments:

  1. I was in my twenties and I was heading home from the bus stop. I could have walked that path with my eyes closed, it has been the only way home from the bus stop for all my life. On that path I was making plans, analyze what happened during the day, wish for certain things to happen or not happen and so on. Everything was mechanic...

    That day, I don't know why, I looked up towards the sky and I stopped breathless. I realized that I never look up, always down, watching my steps or slighly ahead of me. I had no idea how big the trees were in my neighbourhood and how nicely the green was painting the sky. For twenty years I've been living in that area and I never looked up once!
    That day I stopped rushing and running and being a hamster. It was as if I had been crawling all my life and that day I stood up and walked.

    And it wasn't just me... Many times after that I was walking with a friend or a member of my family and I simply asked them "Why do you always look down?" It was amazing to see them raise their heads and look up. You could almost feel huge burdens lifted from their shoulders. And then you see them smile and all say variations of the same line "I didn't even notice..."

    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story to share Lucia! There's so much richness around us that fills our souls if only we open our eyes to it. Sounds like you're on the path of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete