Friday, January 22, 2010

Urban hunger

I went to a swanky cocktail party last night in Forest Hill. My experience at most cocktail parties has involved generally meaningless conversation and niceties. Last night, I got into a great conversation with a leading Toronto business person. And we started talking about food security. I mentioned I'd been reading about urban famine. He was extremely kind enough to forward a link to an article from the Economist.

I am amazed at how people have mobilized together to help the people suffering so horribly in Haiti. It is phenomenal how people come together in crisis. But just last night I heard that 20% of the children in Orlando go to bed hungry. And now this statistic from the Economist is frightening.

The United States can't even deal with hunger in their own country.

"There are lots of new faces. Ninety-three percent of emergency food
sites have seen an increase in first-time users of their services.
According to the Food Bank for New York City, an estimated 1.3m New
Yorkers now rely on soup kitchens (which provide hot meals) and food
pantries (which give away food). The number of people having trouble
paying for food has increased 60%, to 3.3m, since 2003"

I ate beautifully crafted food last night. Drank a gorgeous glass of red wine and walked away grateful.

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment