Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Time to break free

Working on the Coke account, I spent a lot of time absorbed in the Olympic pillars (active living and the environment), inspiring Canada to set goals and achieve things we never thought possible. I am no exception.

Six months ago, my main source of physical activity was walking to work. I was inactive, out of shape and overweight. I couldn’t run a leg of the torch relay if I tried. But a part of me wanted to experience the Olympics in my own life. And I have a good friend and former colleague to thank for that.

It started with a small commitment - one bootcamp class. One became two, two became four. I started running. I reminded myself I held the power to make a difference and every little change I made had a positive impact.


That simple realization changed me. I approached my goals with the same vigour that I would my job. The excuses stopped. Running became easier. I put in the extra effort. I pushed myself harder and faster. I felt stronger, had more energy. I ran ahead.

Though I wasn't selected to carry the torch, I come out of this experience looking and feeling different. My goals still lie in front of me on the road ahead but now I run towards them. I’ve broken free from my stagnant lifestyle and there’s no looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment