Friday, July 8, 2011

Recipe for Kale and Pecorino Salad


Last week my guy and I went to my favourite restaurant, Foxley (207 Ossington Ave) for some chow. It was, of course, yum yum for my tum.
One of the newer things on the menu was a kale salad. Kale has been referred to as "The Queen of the Greens" but I've never eaten raw kale so I had no idea what to expect.

Unlike spinach or chard, kale doesn't contain oxalic acid, which prevents the body from absorbing calcium. Kale is the richest of the greens in the phytochemical lutein. Known mostly for its prevention of eye disease, lutein is now thought to be more protective against cancer than beta-carotein. Kale is also one of the highest sources of antioxidant flavonoids which help ward off heart disease and regulate blood pressure.

Kale has many benefits for women. It helps regulate estrogen, and wards off many forms of cancer including breast. The calcium in kale is more absorbable than the calcium in milk so it helps protect against osteoporosis, arthritis, and bone loss. Before and during pregnancy, kale supplies important minerals like calcium and iron. It also provides folic acid which is necessary for proper development of the baby's nervous system. While nursing, kale and other leafy greens increase breastmilk supply.

Taken from Veg Family, The Magazine for Vegan Family Living

It was so good that I've decided I have to replicate the experience to the best of my abilities.

Here's my knock off recipe:

8 cups finely sliced kale
3 cups baby arugula
3/4 cups very thinly sliced pecorino
8 finely chopped fresh basil leaves

Dressing as follows:

3 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoons maple syrup
Salt and pepper

I tend to follow the eat cold food when it's warm out and warm food when it's cold out. I make a mean salad and eat salad almost every night in the summer. I get tired of the same old green salad with tomatoes. If you've got any salad ideas that are out of the box, post them here!

In addition to the Foxley kale salad, my other fave is the Tangled Thai Salad with crispy tofu from Fresh. I won't even try to replicate that.

Eating a healthy salad every day is also an excellent way to fill up on fibre before more calorie dense foods with potentially fewer nutritional benefits (i.e. weight control). And green stuff is just plain good for you!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Try the kale salad at restaurant PorteƱo in New York at 27th. and 10th. Ave. Fantastic! And so is the rest of the menu. A bit of garlic and lemon.... Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. try the salad at hibiscus in kensington market.....amazing, get it once a week

    ReplyDelete