Saturday, September 10, 2011

A month of strength training from the inside out



I love being given a challenge. When iVillage Senior Editor, Adina Goldman, approached me to help her with her one month challenge of building core strength, I was ready. Coaching people towards their goals is so much more than designing an exercise program for them. It's about understanding the flow of their lives, overall priorities, time constraints and getting to deeper to their true motivation for wanting to make a change. Only then, can a coach truly help facilitate positive change.

My most recent iVillage column is all about Adina and my assessment of where she's at and my recommendation for her progress. So go check it out!

Here's a teaser from Adina. You might be able to relate very well to where she's at. So stay posted for her/our updates of our month together, creating strength from the inside out.

Intro by Adina: I’ve been working an office job for most of my adult life, and as 40 looms menacingly in the distance, I find myself feeling the impact of all those years at a desk, hunched over a keyboard. While I ride my bike do a weekly yoga class, it’s not enough.

Come 5pm, I find it harder to stand up straight. These days, my posture is getting hunched and I am way more prone to brutal kinks in my neck. Lately, picking up my son (who is really too old to be carried) can throw my back into uncomfortable spasms. Is this what getting older is all about? What can I do to get stronger?

When I spoke with our fitness expert Jane Clapp, she said I need to build up my core strength. And I am a lucky, lucky editor – she’s agreed to be my personal trainer for a month, helping me create a regimen that focuses on building core strength in my minimal free time. We are SO on. Introducing ‘My Month With a Personal Trainer"

No comments:

Post a Comment