Wednesday, July 21, 2010

40 things before 40 - by Rahnuma Panthaky



Last Thursday I went to the book launch for "Poser" Caitlin Cronenburg's newly released book of photography. It was there I met the audaciously engaging Rahnuma Panthaky, Canadian actor and author of the 40 things before 40 blog.

She was daintily sipping water, not engaging in the usual sucking back of free wine that often accompanies these types of parties. Turns out water was a treat for her she had to indulge in sparingly. Rahnuma was planning on being a contestant in a fitness model competition within days. Now you might be drumming up a bunch of images of what Rahnuma must be like for wanting to cross this experience off her 40 things before 40 bucket list. But I can assure you she doesn't fit into any mold of any sort. She just wanted to do it once!
With all her irreverence towards the fitness model world intact, she ended up placing 5th. Pretty cool. So I thought I'd spread the word about her great little blog by posting a post of hers. Here goes:

I’m losing it!! 9 days left to go and things are worse than they began.

Not only is my self discipline failing me (I’m not even going to insult you with the copious amount of crap I consumed on set …..let’s just say craft services became my new best friend) my body is also falling apart. Somehow, somewhere I tweaked my lower back (maybe it was attempting to do some of my own stunts on set – how Wonder Woman did it in heals is beyond me). Add to that my knee hurting (the good one at that) and I am a walking mess. Isn’t exercise and healthy eating supposed to keep you healthy?

Oh and let’s not forget the anxiety I am starting to have as I realize I am 9 days away from having to parade myself in front of hundreds who plan on judging my body as I stand next to people who actually took this training seriously.

On top of all this, I am now starting to crave shit I normally would never consume. And I’ll be honest –I’ve caved a few times. Like last Saturday.

Somewhere between Chaka Khan and Cyndi Lauper (Jazz Festival meets Pride Weekend) I managed to find myself in front of a street meat truck. And I lost it. Not only did I get a chicken sausage with all the works, I managed to inhale the whole thing in a matter of seconds. (Please keep your “sausage swallowing” jokes to yourself– my parents read this).

And the other day I saw a commercial for Kraft dinner and I swear I almost licked the TV screen. My mind is playing a sick, sick game with me. I just keep telling myself all I need to do is get through the next 9 days…I might have to wire my jaw shut to do it successfully!

Now I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining all the time. There have been some plusses to this whole training process. Like being able to fit back into a really old pair of jeans. So what if they happen to be my 1987 Suzy Shier acid wash jeans – the fact that I can actually get my ass and thighs into them is a bonus.

2nd plus: some have said my skin looks like it’s glowing. I don’t tell them that it’s just sweat from trying to restrain myself from clawing the chocolate bar out of their hands and ramming it down my throat…(yes, I know I am just feeding you these - but please keep the throat-ramming jokes to yourself, need I remind you about my folks).

Plus # 3: I have actually found a new appreciation for lifting weights. There, I’ve said it. I like exercise….sometimes. I’ll admit, I am actually liking the way some of my muscles look (the fact that I have them in the first place is a whole other bag of candy…mmm….candy).

Now if I could only stay on track with the eating – as I write this I have just inhaled an oat bar from Starbucks and a granola bar both in the span of 20 minutes. Sucks that now this is the kind of food that makes me feel guilty....(sigh) 9 more days!

I am sure I will get a huge wake-up call when I go to the Posing Workshop next Sunday (ya – they have those too) and see how serious these women are. They’ll probably scoff at me as I fake my way around the stage trying to suck in my gut and some how find a magic way to lift my butt. But fuck it! Those bitches can kiss my hairy brown ass (ooh, that reminds me I need to book an appointment with my esthetician).

Apparently they will be approving our bathing suits (still debating wearing a full wet suit to the competition) and our shoes at this workshop. Did you know there’s a “classy” standard to those see-through plastic stripper shoes all the peelers wear?

Finding them is also a bit of a challenge. I had to walk into a big peeler store this week to scout out a pair. As I entered Seduction (it’s a big 2 storey everything to do with strippers shop) I was so praying no one I knew saw me go in. I could just hear all the rumors starting about Rahnuma and her underground job. Yet when I told the salesclerk what I was looking for and she automatically asked if it was for a fitness competition, I found myself getting offended she didn’t think I was a stripper. Clearly I am losing it.

And who knew a piece of cheap plastic slapped on top of another piece of cheap plastic would cost so much? Clearly the recession has had no impact on strippers. I may need to rethink my career - (just kidding Mom & Dad!).

Alright, back to the bucket list -

As for #10 (“Play a Team Sport”), I have my first ever beach volleyball game tonight. Team 19 C (we don’t have a name yet) will be playing 2 games at the Docks (one is not torture enough?).

Thanks to a blog follower I now know how to keep the sand out of my toenails. Apparently all you need to do is run a bar of soap under your nails before you go to the beach. The chunks of soap will block out the sand. I only have liquid soap in my place – not sure it’ll work the same –but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I might add I have not touched a volleyball since my last clinic (not that I touched it much during the clinics) so this should be a whole new level of interesting. Stay tuned for updates on black eyes and bruised noses. I’m still seriously thinking of wearing a caged helmet…though the tan lines could be a bitch.

And I’ve finally come up with a few more additions to add to what seems to be a never-ending list. So here it goes:

28 Participate in a Flash Mob – They look so cool and end up with a ridiculous amount of hits on the web. Who knows, maybe that’ll be my ticket to fame.
29 Try to get a 20 year old to hit on me (that came courtesy of Karitsa). – Though if I am trying to do it, does it really count? And at what point does one become a cougar?
30 Jump out of a plane – I actually already did but it was static line (where the chute automatically opens for you). According to hard-core divers that is the pussy way to jump. So tandem it will be.
31 Work on an Ed Burns Film – This may be a little trickier to do - but hey, I’m not beyond stalking. And Ed, if you happen to be reading this blog – Mama’s got some ideas for your next film.

Stay tuned for updates on the competition – and if I’m feeling brave enough, maybe even a few pics.

2 comments:

  1. I nearly laughed my wig off reading this, very funny!! (and yes Tandem is the way to go, its awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw you in a movie, Rahnuma. You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete