Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What is degenerative disc disease?

Yesterday, I had my 12th client come in and tell me that she was officially diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. I'm not afraid to work with people with issues. It's a challenge. But many people get diagnosed with this particular condition without knowing what it is.

There are some things that people with degenerative disc disease should never do like hyperextension in the low back or repeated forward flexion under force like crunches. The aging process makes these pad like disc wear down in our spines. Going to a chiro alone isn't going to solve the ongoing pain that can happen. People need to build sound core strength and release tension in muscles that can impact the low back.

Here's a little video explaining what degenerative disc disease is.



Every one's body is idiosyncratic. What might be fine for some people dealing with low back issues might not work for someone else. I personally like not living in constant pain. If I got a diagnosis like this, I would be doing everything in my power to keep my quality of life as optimal as possible. Wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment