Friday, April 16, 2010

Bohmer review


The most recent hot spot on Ossington can be universally named as Union, until Bohmer , 93 Ossington, opened its doors last month.

One of my favourite things to do with my best female gals is to go try new restos in T.O that meet with our criteria: interesting, not over-produced, food focused and the only cheese in the place can be edible. Tonight we had a girl's date and named our next 'try out' hot spot, Bohmer. I read up a bit about Bohmer online last night and knew we were in for a food fiesta of pleasure.

We arrived and ordered a bottle of the Chilean Viognier ($34 a bottle, BTW there WAS 3 of us). The wine was excellent value. A full bodied white chilled to perfection poured into a legit white wine glass.

I picked the best two gals to go out with, two foodies who like to share. We ordered two starters, the foie gras and the beet salad. The first bite of the beet salad blasted my taste buds into heaven. I don't normally go for foie gras but it literally fell apart in my mouth. If you got to Bohmer, you have to order this..

Then we ordered three mains to share. The scallops, beef, and the veal cheeks (this one has been written about. I don't normally dig veal cheeks but I thought what we ought to try it given what I read). Another food-gasm came with each new taste. We rotated the mains around and each brought on a whole new set of flavours. I think Bohmer might have out done Foxley as my new go to guarantee pleasure restaurant. The room was totally up my alley as well, not over done like Spice Route style, amazing light fixtures, minimalist walls, bathrooms. I always notice the music in a restaurant. They need to get someone on that a bit to make sure the tunes jive with the rest of the vibe.

The mains were around $30, the starters around $15. Between three of us, we shared two bottles of vino, 2 starters and 3 mains and spent $80 each with 20% tip. It was worth it if you're really into food. The service was unpretentious but totally on. We sat at the beautiful bar and were served by a woman totally into wine and food who rejoiced in observing our delight. The rest of the staff didn't have pickles up their asses like so many hot spots do.

I haven't been wowed by a restaurant in a while. Bohmer wowed me. Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment