Tuesday, April 20, 2010

One simple tip for keeping kids lunches healthy


Jamie Oliver is a hero. And people who get behind him without any direct benefit, are amazing.
Karen Humphrey's, a blogger from the West Coast, started making his twitter stuff go viral.

"Ms. Humphrey, a working mother of a 14-year-old son, created Food Revolution Fridays: a digital extension of Mr. Oliver’s mission that has won his approval.

Every Friday, Ms. Humphrey writes about a healthy meal she made for her family at cookienotes.blogspot.com. Dozens of others do the same, replacing sodium-rich pizza delivery with Mr. Oliver’s broccoli salad and crunchy garlic chicken."

I've been hanging with some of the wonderful mamas from my daughter's school. Every time I'm out with them, we end up talking about what we're feeding our kids. We turn to each other for advice or little bits of comfort that we're doing the right thing by them.

Before school started last September, I started my search for the perfect lunch bag. I caught wind of the bento box lunch kit. It peaked my interest because Japanese food is one of our favourite eating out things to do. We always order a bento box and share.

So I thought getting a lunch system that would allow for several small containers for multiple food groups would be a great way to ensure my daughter didn't end up pulling one thing out of a lunch bag and forgetting about the other good stuff I packed. It also keeps me disciplined in the way I pack her lunch. There are four containers, one for a veggie, one for a fruit, one for a substantial and a third with a little 'treat' she's allowed to eat if she eats the rest. And since each container is small, it doesn't allow me to over pack food which can serve to overwhelm kids.

The main benefit for the bento box lunch kit is that I can't put prepackaged foods in it. They just don't fit. This means she doesn't get processed foods in her lunch ( not that I needed a lunch kit to stop me from doing this). She also comes home with virtually no garbage, Love it!

The bento box lunch kit isn't cheap but it's durable. The plastic is safe and it's easy for me to measure out portions and then immediately see how she ate when we get home. I also include her in choosing what we put in her lunch so I know she's agreed to eat whatever I've packed. One less reason for her to not eat well. Just like Karen Humphrey's, I don't pack traditional lunch things. She gets leftovers from dinner, soup, you name it and she doesn't look at lunch food and dinner food as being anything different. She knows she always have to have a veggie with lunch. Those are just the rules.

Karen Humphrey adds in a Globe and Mail article from today:
"I’ve absolutely seen a change in kids when they have a healthy lunch because I work for a school district. I’ve seen kids – their energy is so much better, they’re calmer, they do better in school when they’ve had healthy food to eat."

If you have any fool proof tips for other parents out there, post 'em! We can all help each other make the job of keeping our kids healthy easier by sharing information.

3 comments:

  1. I have the very same lunchbox for Cameron. Its great too if you want to sneak in a little note or treat - every day is like a surprise for them!! I too am a great fan of the work Jamie Oliver is trying to do. I love the fact he prefaces things with 'I am not trying to be all hippie and granola on you, I just want you to eat good homemade food'!! HELL YES!!
    It takes very little effort to produce a healthy meal for your kids, and getting them involved in the process makes it so easy - let them help you cook. I also do a meal plan for the week which is on display in the kitchen and the kids get to help me pick the menu for the week - and even if that is pizza or fish and chips, I can make a healthy version for them. Great post. I am so keen to get kids off processed crap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family loved the Jamie Oliver show as well. We have a website to give lots of lunch ideas as well - and you can share your own recipes, ideas etc with the site. http://www.lunchtaker.com
    We use something similar now - just found it recently - Kelly Lester's easy lunchbox system. Check out our blog section to learn more about it. I like that it is kind of a cross between bento and regular containers so some more options, less lids to worry about but same general concept. :) Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
    skip bin hire darra
    skip bin hire ipswich

    ReplyDelete