Saturday, April 3, 2010

Circus and Acro Yoga in the Park

I was about to leave work today when one of my best buds called me and asked me to go to Dufferin Grove because one of her yoga teachers was setting up silks, trapeze and other circus like training tools. I was going to go to High Park to run with Maggie but with an offer like that, how could I refuse.

I love trying new stuff and I especially love Dufferin Grove park. I always end up seeing people I know or recognize from my community and it makes me feel like I have a context on this huge planet.

When we arrived, we met a nice guy named Sebastian from 8 limbs 2 hearts yoga. He graciously spotted me while I tried walking along the trapeze. It was so amazing to feel the involuntary movements that happen when my body was so unaccustomed to balancing that way. Holy proprioception. And within a few steps, I could feel the rope under me shake a little less and could see how fun it would be to master. Here's a pic of me and Sebastian.


Then we tried a bit of Acro Yoga with Sebastian. Very cool stuff. It kind of reminded me of playing airplane with my daughter.

Here's me flying. One of the pictures is just to give you a bit of a laugh. Nice view eh!




This is taken from the Acro Yoga homeland in California.

"AcroYoga blends the spiritual wisdom of yoga, the loving kindness of Thai massage, and the dynamic power of Acrobatics. These three ancient lineages form this practice that cultivates trust, connection and playfulness. There are 7 main elements that make up the practice: circle ceremony, asana, partner flow, Thai massage, therapeutic flying, inversions & spotting, and partner acrobatics. Our highest aim is to bring individuals into a state of union with themselves, with each other, and with the divine. From this place of mutual support the true self can be realized, celebrated and shared for the benefit of all."

Here' a little video of what we got to watch today.


I had loads of fun with it and could see how it would become addictive. It's such a playful yet focused practice. There's really no opportunity to let your mind wander out of the moment.

After that, my ex-circus performer bud Vic taught me how to climb the silks. I got a good 15 feet up and later tried some simple stuff on the trapeze. I had a nice little adrenaline rush from everything that day. Anyone can come and play on circus days at Dufferin Grove. Many people were there from Toronto Circus Arts and will graciously teach you how to do tricks. Really nice people. Nice little community.

Thanks to everyone who I met today and helped make this beautiful day even better.

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment