Thursday, June 17, 2010

My five favourite fitness toys du jour

I can be just as fickle as the rest of 'em when it comes to finding new things that keep me interested and inspired. I would be physically and mentally bored to tears if I was doing the same series of exercises over and over again. Thus I never get fixated on following one fitness guru or fitness trend. I still filter my new toy purchases through a rational analysis of how they fit into my fitness philosophy and approach and believe in adaptability in terms of moving forward in fitness and in life, period.

So recently I've been introduced to some new toys (fun!) by some fitness geeks like me (i.e. Sara-Clare extraordinaire, Amanda Thebe the Foxy Burd and by trying new classes here and there that get me outside my comfort zone).

MY FIVE FITNESS TOYS DU JOUR ARE THE FOLLOWING:

1) Battle ropes

WHY? THEY MAKE PEOPLE ACCESS THEIR INNER WARRIOR BETTER THAN ANYTHING I'VE EVER USED. YOU CAN ORDER YOUR OWN AT AGATSU.COM



2) The black terminator physio roller

WHY? THE NEW BLACK PHYSIO ROLLERS I'VE BEEN BUYING AT FOREMOST FITNESS (274 EGLINTON WEST) ARE SUPER DENSE AND UNFORGIVING WHICH ALLOWS FOR PROGRESSION IN MYOFASCIAL RELEASE. I LOVE THAT MY CLIENTS HAVE BEEN BREAKING UP THE GRISSLE ENOUGH TO NEED ROLLERS THAT PROVIDE MORE INTENSITY.



3) Pull up straps

WHY? WE HAVE THREE DIFFERENT LEVELS AT URBANFITT. IT ALLOWS PEOPLE TO DO PULL UPS WITHOUT A PARTNER AND TO ENSURE THEY PATTERN A PROPER PULL UP WITH THE HELP OF BANDS THAT PROVIDES THE PERFECT AMOUNT OF ASSISTANCE IN THE STICKING POINT OF THE MOVEMENT. SARAH KIM ALSO POINTED OUT THAT THIS IS THE ONLY TRAINING TOOL THAT DALTON MCGUINTY TRAVELS WITH ;)



4) Kettlebells

WHY? MAINLY BECAUSE THEY ARE FUN AND CHALLENGE MY BODY IN A NEW WAY. THIS IS REALLY A POST UNTO ITSELF THOUGH. THEY ALSO ARE TOTALLY ON THE METABOLLIC TRAINING WAGON THAT IS GREAT FOR PEOPLE TIGHT FOR TIME AND WANTING TO SEE BIG RESULTS. THEY ARE TRICKY THOUGH AND YOU NEED PROPER INSTRUCTOR BEFORE THINKING YOU'RE ALL GOOD WITH THEM. THEY CAN BE ONE OF THE MOST MISUSED TRAINING TOYS. AGAIN, YOU CAN GET THEM AT AGATSU.COM



5) Acupressure balls

WHY? MOST OF US CAN'T GO GET BODY WORK DONE EVERY DAY AND UNDER PROPER SUPERVISION AND DIRECTION FROM A THERAPIST ACUPRESSURE WITH BALLS CAN BE AN EXCELLENT WAY TO RELIEVE TENSION, BREAK UP SCAR TISSUE AND PREVENT INJURIES. HERE'S A LITTLE VIDEO EXAMPLE (NOT IDEAL BUT YOU CAN GET THE PICTURE FROM THIS).



Why not the TRX you ask? Because I've been using them for maybe 6 years now and they aren't that new for me. I throw some TRX stuff in here and there but it's limited compared to other tools.

And just to ensure I qualified the above, I love loads of eclectic fitness tools but these are my fave right now. I'll keep you posted when I find new stuff I really dig.

Over and out.

1 comment:

  1. I like the feel of hard foam rollers, too, but their smooth surface doesn't get down in around the muscle attachments where scar tissue tends to accumulate. For a better progression in myofascial release, try the RumbleRoller (www.rumbleroller.com). It's bumps penetrate muscle tissue better than rollers or acupressure balls.

    ReplyDelete