Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wine drinkers eat healthier than beer drinkers- new study shows


I'm a wine drinker. Have never really loved beer. When I worked at Molson Breweries I used to get 7 dozen beer a month all of which I gave away. We even had a management pub where everyone would go get a little buzzed after work and then jump in their cars to drive home. I shit you not. I would try to fit in and sip on a Heineken (yes most Heineken is produced under license here, not across the pond).

Even free beer couldn't convert me. Many of my clients drink socially and many of them say they can't give up their wine. I, like them, appreciate a nice glass of wine. I started studying wine in my early 20s. Maybe I was playing grown up but regardless, my beautiful trip to Sonoma in the 90s converted me for good.

I train an epidemiologist (no that's not someone who studies the epidermis) and she is great about keeping me up to date on new health related research and reports. THANK YOU! I love all the smart clients who expand my world.

A few days ago she told me about a study coming out of Denmark that looked at whether people who buy wine buy
healthier food items than those who buy beer. According to her, the study is a darn good one.

The results as you can guess?

Wine buyers bought more olives, fruit and vegetables, poultry, cooking oil, and low fat cheese, milk, and meat than
beer buyers. Beer buyers bought more ready cooked dishes, sugar, cold cuts, chips, pork, butter or margarine, sausages,
lamb, and soft drinks than wine buyers.

The conclusion?

Wine buyers made more purchases of healthy food items than people who buy beer.

We already knew that drinking wine is associated with lower mortality than drinking beer and spirits and this study is pointing us into the direction of why.

Have you ever met anyone with a wine belly? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment