Sunday, May 9, 2010

MoodGYM - get a workout for your attitude


This week I've been spending a bit of time talking about my philosophy around eating with Urbanfitt clients. As we add classes and expand the Urban Warrior group training program, it seems time to ensure I'm moving forward in a way that is consistent with the philosophies that have been evolving over the last four years.

I've played around with different fitness guru philosophies over the many years I've been at this. I've made some mistakes along the way in terms of what I endorse. I'm not perfect. My own body serves as the best experiment as do how my clients react to advice. But ultimately what I've come to realize is that eating issues and difficulties in losing weight have more to do with breaking negative behavioral patterns and healing our relationship with ourselves and in particular our relationships with food and our bodies.

There is no perfect diet that can do this for us. We need guidance and coaching in changing behaviors, yes. But there's no secret solution to our eating challenges that will be found in the pages of a book. MIchael Pollan helps us all realize how painfully simple it should be.

We all have areas of our lives where we get trapped in patterns that ultimately lead us away from feeling better about ourselves whether we are consciously aware of them or not. Constantly living life in a way that brings our unconscious to the surface and allows us to be more mindful is ultimately what is required for a permanent change in behaviours. The best 'diet' books out there are the ones that focus on big picture health and an emotional evolution.

So after one of my food chats, one of my long term class participants told me about something interesting she had discovered called MoodGYM. She thought it would be right up my alley. She recently changed jobs and shifted careers and was experiencing more anxiety so she started exploring ways to help her manage better.

Some of you out there might have heard of the book, "Mind Over Mood", a cognitive behavioral workbook.

Now there's an online resource where you can go and do a mood workout: MoodGYM

If you're someone who has emotional eating issues, maybe a little workout at MoodGYM is a better alternative to the afternoon Starbucks cookie or the late night binge. It's great to see that tools used in psychotherapy are becoming more commonly accepted as useful for everyone. Maybe I'll start using MoodGYM for little on the spot attitudinal tune ups.

1 comment:

  1. Moodgym is great when you are computer savvy and it does not scare you. There are those that won't use the computer to help heal themselves.

    But then there is therapy that works well, but of course it costs a lot.

    I use clarifylife in addition to moodgym.
    I like the fact that they are both free.

    I won't go into the details people can find them at
    http://www.clarifylife.com/moodgym.html

    But my favorite when it comes to eating is in fact over eaters anonymous.

    It does not cost that much, in fact donations are voluntary.

    Anyway, the process takes time no matter what. And it has to be sustained. Not the weight loss, but the growth work that these online tools offer.

    ReplyDelete