Thursday, May 27, 2010

Springboards and www.juliasfund.com

Since I started going to Urbanfitt just over a year ago, a lot has changed in my life. I no longer have back pain. I sleep better. Then, I started my own company and was asked to teach part-time at U of T.

One initiative that I have taken in the past year that I am particularly proud of is the establishment of Julia's Fund at the SickKids Foundation. For eighteen months after her first birthday, our daughter Julia wasted away. She was often gravely ill, with mysterious and sometimes contradictory symptoms. Doctors at the Hospital for Sick Children and the National Institute for Health in Maryland struggled through diligent work to diagnose her condition in what often seemed like a race against time. No one could figure out the puzzle of Julia’s assortment of symptoms.

Since her diagnosis in 2007, Julia’s health has been managed with medication and her life has been rebuilt. She has improved dramatically. She has gone from an emaciated child stuck in a hospital bed to a scrappy 5 year old in kindergarten who is in love with ballet. However, some of the damage done to her body before the diagnosis endures.

Julia’s Fund will create an information base (“registry”) through which future APS patients will be more easily diagnosed, and by this the process of managing the disease can begin sooner. Present and future lives will be helped by what has been learned through Julia’s case.

Please keep Julia's Fund in mind when you are planning your charitable giving. You can get more information and donate at www.juliasfund.com. For even more information contact jennifer@juliasfund.com.

Thank you Jane and Urbanfitt. While you can't take all of the credit for the amazing changes in my life during the past year, the physical and emotional energy I have gained at your gym has been my springboard.

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment