Monday, May 31, 2010

Consumer Reports: contaminated protein powder



The July 2010 issue of Consumer Reports magazine has a big spread on protein powder. Consumer Reports tested 15 protein drinks and found chemicals and heavy metals in several.

The three they pointed out were:
(figures are for three servings)

EAS Myoplec Original Rich Dark Chocolate Shake Liquid
16.9 micrograms of Arsenic
5.1 micrograms of Cadmium

Muscle Milk Chocolate
5.6 micrograms of Cadmium

Muscle Milk Vanilla Creme
12.2 micrograms lead

Here's a comparison of the cost of different sources of protein taken from the article.
1. Half of a chicken breast = 27g protein = $.62
2. Three 8oz glasses of milk = 23g protein = $.60
3. Three scrambled eggs = 20g protein = $.46
4. One scope of Nitro-Tech = 25g protein = $1.61

Looks like I'm going to have to go out and buy a hard copy of the July issue since it's not posted on their website. If I can't get a whole food unprocessed source of protein, I use Isagenix Isopro. It's just plain old whey, nothing else.



Taken from the Isagenix website:
"We know that quality whey can only come from a quality source, which is why our exclusive whey comes from dairy cows that are raised on pastures (not grain) on small New Zealand family farms, milked according to season, well rested, and not treated with hormones or antibiotics."

The key here too is not just the potential for contaminants but also that the cows are grass fed not grain fed. Anyone who knows about what makes a healthy cow knows that grain is not the healthiest food for cows to survive on. I've always believed you can't really buy high quality cheap protein powder so I don't mind spending a bit more on Isopro.

You can order your Isapro at http://urbanfitt.isagenix.com/ca/en/home.dhtml and it'll get delivered within 2 business days right to your door.

If anyone else has found a safe protein powder available in Canada, post it below!

Best,

Jane Clapp

6 comments:

  1. Thats great to know Jane. I always take a liquid protein source after exercise because it digests faster, and pick whey to add to my smoothies, over having a piece of chicken (I mean who wants to eat a piece of chicken after your tabata class!)

    thanks for the heads up, I might order some from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shake thing too because then I get some carbs too! I really don't like munching on a chicken breast for fun really. And like you, I don't think I could stomach it immediately after a killer workout which I'm in need of right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raw organic is the best!!! Absolutely nothing but all natural ingredients and protein sources!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why not just use one of the most digestible forms of protein...HEMP. Non-GMO and pesticide free. That's the good protein if you really want to get healthy. And NO...it does not get you high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx for ur post, ya i read somewhere Protein Powders are beneficial. They provide your body with protein that the food you eat may not be providing. buy i wann know, is Protein Powders benificial for body building ???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates. protein powder canada

    ReplyDelete