Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Fitness Pro's Scoop on CYKL and Real Ryder Bikes



I just came home from my school mama night out that included a cycle class at CYKL (located at 68 Bathurst) and a glass of vino and some chuckles. I've really been wanting to try out the new bikes that CYKL uses called Real Ryder bikes.

These new bikes kind of blow the traditional Johnny G spin bike out of the water. I started teaching spin classes after getting certified through the Johnny G Spin program about 10 years ago. I've used different bikes while teaching at what used to be Level Five Fitness, Totum Life Science, Quad and Diesel. I used to be a spin freak and even got right back to teaching 7 weeks after a home birth. I used to own a carbon fibre bike and would get through feature length films while spinning at home. I haven't taught spin in a couple years but I've spent enough time teaching and riding to be able to form an educated opinion.

The class at CYKL made me want to teach again because the Real Ryder bikes open up so many opportunities to get people spinning properly with better body awareness, a more honest pedal stroke, proper weight distribution on the bike and a decent amount of tension instead of the silly no tension RPM of the 90s that only wear joints out and do nothing for strength.

Here's a demo of what the Real Ryder bike looks like.



What I look for in a spin class is ambience, good music, personal attention, and attention to form and technique and generally letting individuality come out through a personalized teaching style. The original Johnny G Spin program was deeply based on a philosophy of what matters to me in a spin class. Maybe I'm dating myself!

CYKL is a beautiful space and at night it's not hard to get street parking. First class is free! The sound system is great. The room ventilation is great. The owners/staff are extremely friendly, provide towels, extra bike shoes, gel seats. The online sign up system is unparalleled as compared to other spin/cycle gyms. You can even book the exact bike you want while reserving your spot online. Loved it as soon as I walked in.

The only thing I would suggest is that like in any great group class environment, the instructor should be taking opportunities to personally correct form and technique and try to connect with each participant which means getting off the bike for a lot of the class. What makes a spin/cycle gym really take off is the environment the instructors create. Everyone likes a different style of instruction for different reasons. What's going to make CYKL fly are the instructors more than anything. Spin became popular because of the buzz you feel after brought on my great music, intense work and the synergy in the room everyone contributes.

Someone new to spin might need a little more explanation and guidance than in a class with a stable bike. I liked how the bike felt on my body. I felt my obliques in the turns and could see how I could work on my upper body alignment. It isn't exactly the same feeling as being on the road but it's more integrative than traditional spin bikes. I'm sure it takes a few classes to get the feel of the bikes. The Real Ryder bikes require more coaching than regular bikes and beginners need hands on help to get the feel of how to move with the bike. Real Ryder instructors need to be very specific in terms of what muscles to use for turns, hand positioning for turns and how to get the core involved to stabilize the bike. If you're not using the right muscles to stabilize the bike, you will know right away because the bike is going to wobble like crazy.

The Real Ryder bikes do not have a certification that goes along with them yet like Johnny G did when he first started out. The instructors get a binder but no class time. If Real Ryder can create a philosophy that includes not only great bikes but also an overall culture that is associated with their brand the way Johnny G did, then I think they're onto something great with these bikes.

Thanks to CYKL for a great intro to their special spot and the next generation of spinning/cycle fit.



Jane Clapp
Founder
Urbanfitt

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jane,

    I think your critique of RealRyder is right on and it is very well expressed. RealRyder® will shortly introduce a very comprehensive training program and even now we work with all of our customers to teach proper form and easy ways to educate new riders on how to quickly benefit from our advanced technology. I want you and your readers to know RealRyder is committed to doing everything possible to make RealRyding the best it can be! Thank you very much for your vote of confidence and I hope you become a RealRyder trainer in the future. The owners and management of CYKL are as committed as we are to change the way people ride bikes indoors.

    Regards,

    Sean

    Sean Harrington, President
    RealRyder International LLC
    RealRyder™ABF8
    3200 Airport Avenue, Unit 21
    Santa Monica, CA 90405
    800-976-6280...310-390-1803...Cell 310-740-0331...Skype sean.harrington7
    Fax 310-881-1268
    sean@realryder.com...www.realryder.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jane.
    Re: Bicycle passions. You might enjoy this Coco Love Alcorn tribute to the BRC. My sister Joni shot the video. Fun.
    ripple.ca/?p=3472

    (I don't seem to be allowed to add a proper link in the cpmment box. Hope you find it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jane,

    Great post! I have heard about this place and have been wanting to try it out.

    Thanks for coming by my blog the other day as well!

    K
    www.torontoworkout.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello-

    My name is Frank, and I'm writing from Global Ride Productions (www.globalride.net). We make virtual cycling training DVDs for indoor cycling. As a cycling blogger, we thought you might be interested in writing a review of our product. We are willing to send you one of our Italy DVDs, something we sell on our site for $30 plus shipping, in exchange for you writing a review. You don't have to send the DVD back – it’s our thank you for helping spread the word about a new approach to training.

    Our virtual cycling DVDs are different from any others you may have tried. We travel to a new country every year, have multiple coaching tracks on every DVD, licensed music, and bonus yoga, pilates or strength training sessions designed for cyclists at the end of every ride. They're a great product and we just want to spread the word.

    Also, If you are interested in coaching one of these for an upcoming project, please let us know as well. We are always looking for new voice/coaching talent – the main ingredients are cycling knowledge, enthusiasm and a decent microphone setup. In exchange for coaching, we give you super exposure on our website, in the credits, and even in the navigation menu of the DVD itself.

    If you'd like to do a review, or be considered for coaching, just shoot me back a message with a mailing address and we can discuss it.

    Please drop me a line if you want the DVD.

    Thanks!

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane,

    It was great to see you at the studio, I hope you will come back and visit again:-)

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane~
    Thanks for your insight and professional wisdom regarding these bikes. My shipment of 11 bikes arrives on Wednesday! Yahoo! My staff of cyclists and triathletes has been looking for the "next level up" in a bike for indoor winter training for our clients. We all went and trained on these bikes..and new INSTANTLY...REAL RYDER was what we were looking for! The experience was amazing and unparalled for all the reasons you cite. I am a studio owner. I could not agree with you more that there is a recipe of ingredients that makes for a successful cycling studio. You nailed every one! I personally can not wait to hear from REAL RYDER as soon as they are ready to unveil their certification. I have no doubt that it will reflect that same attention to detail that these bikes reflect! Sign me up!
    Tonight my staff has our first meeting to discuss how to transition our interested clients off the NXT's and onto the REAL RYDERs. I got to your info doing research on how to accomplish our goal~ Thanks again for your detailed post...and thanks to REAL RYDER for your incredible product. Know you have another studio in Massachusetts that cant wait to promote your bike...and cant wait to reap the training rewards it has in store for us!

    Norah
    Owner, Pedal and Pose, Inc. Concord, Massachusestts

    ReplyDelete