Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Food Inc.: Must see for anyone trying to live mindfully



As planned, I watched Food Inc. upon my return from the land of gluttony. I really can't believe it's been out for so long and it's taken me until this week to watch it. I tend to be a 'filmy' type of person, not an film aficionado but definitely an area of culture I enjoy exploring.

I've tried to be relatively aware of the issues around eating meat and admit I'm not careful enough when it comes to choosing ethically raised meat, poultry or fish. I used to hang with some hard core PETA folks and attended an event in Toronto a couple years ago. Even shook hands with Ingrid Newkirk. That event didn't impact me the way Food Inc. did.


What got me about Food Inc. was:

1) It showed how large food corporations treat their labour force like disposable pieces of meat. Years ago I worked at a trade union just out of business school. Then began my education regarding the mistreatment of the marginalized population by greedy corporations. Part of my homework while working there was to read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle".

The Jungle is a 1906 novel written by author and journalist Upton Sinclair. Sinclair wrote this novel to highlight the plight of the working class and to remove from obscurity the corruption of the American meatpacking industry during the early-20th century. The novel depicts in harsh tones the poverty, absence of social programs, unpleasant living and working conditions, and hopelessness prevalent among the working class, which is contrasted with the deeply-rooted corruption on the part of those in power.

Food Inc. shows how we have reverted back to how things were 100 years ago. PETA doesn't impact everyone because it keeps the human angle out of their arguments. Food Inc. shows how people are also being treated like disposable resources by huge corporations in a time when we shouldn't be letting illegal immigrants and disadvantaged people be abused. We should know better but the risk of being deported keeps people quiet.

2) Food Inc. also shows how 90% of our food supply is controlled by handful or corporations. It shows how deep their pockets are and how willing they are to sue anyone who threatens their profits or ability to control farmers. Scary stuff given we have almost no food reserves in the world. We are relying on precarious food sources at best that are driven share price, not a conscience. And let's face it, corporations often have the conscience of a sociopath.

3) I will never consciously eat meat that isn't grown locally again. I will not knowingly feed my daughter meat from sources that are as disgusting as the ones shown in Food Inc. I'd rather not eat meat at all.

4) Michael Pollan is a hero and crusader for us and our planet. Food Inc. allows any of his followers to connect with him on another level. I love how they very clearly show how cheap food is mainly less healthy and that income levels create barriers to good nutrition. Michael Pollan is also an advocate for the poor in that food policy has to change in order to tackle the health issues our current food system is creating.

So in short, Food Inc. does a great job advocating for animals, humans, the planet, farmers who are getting screwed, workers who are getting abused and will give that extra push to eat even more mindfully than we might be already.


Here's a link to the Food Inc. getting involved page. Simple stuff anyone can do.

And link to trailer.

Ciao for now brown cow.
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment