Thursday, March 4, 2010

Reporting back after 1st Tabata class - Smulia's A Champ



I taught my first pure Tabata class last night.
We did four sets of 4 minute circuits with 2 minutes rest between.

We warmed up with an old school track style dynamic warm up.

First round we did burpies and then squat jump switches

Second round we did travelling squat jumps over the BOSU and pikes on the stability ball.

Third round we did prone running knee tucks with renegade rows

Fourth round we did totally old school standing high speed knees tucks with dumbells in hand with side knee tuck twists P90X style.

(BTW I only discovered P90X one night when I couldn't sleep and I like some of the moves and the idea of using full body movements in fast paced circuits kind of similar to TABATA. God help my clients if I can't sleep again and I tune into more P90X infomercials to get some more moves!).

Well one of the people who came to class, let's call her Smulia Mohen to protect her identity, came out really hard in the first two circuits and pushed herself to her limits. Love it when people find the inner strength to challenge themselves the way Smulia did.

Part way through class she complained of wanting to vomit. She kept shaking it off but we lined up a garbage can just in case.
Right near the end of the fourth circuit she bolted to the washroom and tossed her cookies into the toilet. What a toughie for holding it until the end.

We figured out that the vomiting had to be related to the mocha she had from Bucks and the big carrot something juice from Fresh. But regardless, I know I wouldn't push myself as hard as these women did tonight unless I had someone motivating me and bossing me. I have to pay for it just like you guys do too sometimes. It was really inspiring for me to see how strong and motivating these fantastically positive women were.

Working in a group environment with a structured class format can be just the ticket to get you off your plateau. Smulia is fine and says she'll come back next week. She is a true champ. She broke my clean record of not making anyone puke during a workout. I will blame Tabata and Bucks for this tonight.

Drop ins are welcome for Tabata until I'm jammed full with Tabata devotees. Let me know if you want to come next Thursday at 6:30 - 7:15pm. It might be really intense but it's over fast!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Nathan McCabe and I was cruising through some blogs and came across yours. I am really glad to read that you have been experiencing a level of success with the P90X. Before completing a round myself, I was a non-believer in any home workout system. The P90X has me hooked and I have since moved onto the Insanity workout system. The Insanity workout is all cardio based and the workouts are really intense.

    There is a FREE account that Beachbody offers. It is actually quite nice because it has many valuable tools that allow you to track your progress, stay accountable to your workouts, and network with other people. If this free opportunity interests you click on the link below.

    Sign-Up For a FREE Beachbody account:
    https://teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/free?referringRepId=29889



    Nathan McCabe
    Independent Beachbody Coach
    RippedBody.org

    ReplyDelete