Sunday, March 21, 2010

Maggie helps me follow my bliss



Every weekend I look forward to something very very simple. Whether I'm with my daughter or alone, I take Maggie to High Park and smile. You can't help but smile or chuckle when you see Maggie run like a crazy pooch doing laps around a park. She's in utter bliss and as a result, I'm in bliss watching her. I love watching other people's reactions to her. She's constantly running up to people like she's known them her whole life. A love slut at heart, she needs a pat from everyone she approaches and most of the time she gets its.

I adopted her a year ago from a home where she was neglected, depressed, overweight and far from her bliss. This last year with her has proven to be healing for us both in many ways. She is now in top shape as witnessed in her running spurts, happy as all hell and totally in touch with her dog-stacy.

I just dropped my mama off at the airport and planned a walk in High Park afterwards. It kind of softened the blow. I'm from the West Coast, like really west, Vancouver Island. Living in the big smoke without immediately family around, I can sometimes feel the distance between me and other people with my DNA. Owning a biz and house alone, and being a mama is awesome. I thank my lucky stars. It just poops me out a bit sometimes and I've found that restoration is an extremely important part of my self-care. Taking care of myself isn't just about working out. Doing things that fill my spirit are equally if not, more important.

On my way back from the airport I was listening to a Deepak CD about happiness. He talks about finding our own personal bliss by being present and connecting with our true selves. And he says it much better than I ever could. High Park with Maggie is an activity and a place where I can connect with myself, soak up a little nature, smile and say hello to fellow humans albeit strangers and leave feeling like all is good in my world.

Take a look at this video and you'll see why Maggie the Therapy Dog, could make anyone smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment