Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My fave exercise from Urban Warrior tonight-on video!

I'm going to post these darn videos despite the fact I might get in shit tomorrow from any of you recognizable in it. Tonight we couldn't use the stairs so I kept all 8 Urban Warriors in the room with me (insert diabolical laugh). We started with 5 exercises - 1 minute each two times around.

Then we moved to 2 sets of Tabata. In one of the tabata sets we did the exercise in the vid. I call it the fire hydrant mountain climber with glute ham raise. Any body got any other suggestions for a name, PLEASE help me. I like this exercise because it's hitting your core (especially the obliques when you really lift the knee out), the shoulders and scapular stabilizers and the glute when you really push the heel into the ceiling with the foot flexed. Plus it's just plain hard after you do at least 20 each side. BTW turn down the volume on your computer before you play this. I'm kind of loud and the quality sucks. Yes I shot it on my crackberry!



Urban Warrior is definitely a progressive program. In fact, Suzanne asked me tonight if it's gotten harder over last year. I think it's just different. I've gotten really inspired by metabolic exercises and am so set on making cardio equipment obsolete. And any Urban Warrior will tell you, don't expect it to ever get easy. Leah was a newbie tonight and made it through! Training should never get easy. There's always ways to make it progressive.

One funny quote from tonight:

"This class is like sex that lasts a long time. You just stop being self conscious about making funny noises." Then I said, "No it's like sex that lasts too long. You want it to finish already."

After all that nastiness was over with we did a wicked core circuit (NO CRUNCHES!) and some very focused back/scapular stabilizer work. Then, of course finished with some myofascial release and lights out for stretching with some nice tunes.

And I was sooooo happy to see Jamie back from her long stint of volunteer work in Mali. She's going to share her pictures and I'll put a post up about the work she's doing to try to transform a community there. I was blown away by the fact she brought me a gift back from her travels, a beautiful necklace from Timbuktu. Excuse me!!! But how many times in our life do we get a handmade thoughtful gift from Timbuktu.

The video is of Jamie being Jamie. (OMG she's going to KILL me for posting this)



Thank you Jamie and thanks to the universe for today.

BTW Azeema is April success story of the month. Check it.

Jane

1 comment: